[libvirt] problems with current libvirt and qemu-kvm

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Fri Nov 30 13:19:44 UTC 2012

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 03:48:52PM -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> When I rebased my DHCPv6, etc. patches, I did that not only on to of
>> Laine Stump's dnsmasq-capabiliotes/bind-dynamic updates but I also
>> rebased to "current" git master.
>>
>> Well, the problem with the large number/frequent RTR-ADVERT syslog
>> messages from dnsmasq that I had previously seen were fixed ... they
>> stopped and dnsmasq produced expected results.  But, starting
>> virt-manager hung and there were new error messages in syslog about
>> "internal error cannot find suitable emulator for X86_64.
> Until I pushed the patches from Victor yesterday, libvirt GIT was
> broken when used against QEMU GIT. The effect was that libvirt
> could not detect any QEMU binaries. So if you're using latest QEMU
> GIT that might be what you've hit.

No, not the latest ... qemu-1.0.1-2.fc17.

But, this problem is getting more than a bit strange.

I have two systems which are pretty near identical (one id AMD-6-core
and the other is AMD-8-core).  They have the same kernel, the same
libvirt, qemu, virt-manager, kernel, dnsmasq.

The "problem system" only has the RTR-ADVERT problem with one network
definition! [IPv4 with DHCP and IPv6 with SLAAC].  Destroy that network
and start another with different addresses but the same specification
and no problems.  The is one difference I need to check ... the problem
network is autostarted.

I just installed the libvirt version that has a problem with qemu. I did
not bother trying virt-manage since I just noticed a bunch of really
strange syslog messages from libvirtd "unknown OS type hvm" so I
downgraded back to something that works.

The last update I have listed in the git-log is
b7aba48bcaf315c27430a7d0edf8ff702d293527 and that one changed
src/conf/domain_conf.c.

I am going to give two things a try:

1. Back off the top few commits that hist domain stuff and

2. Try do a pull to update my copy of libvirt's git.

About the only thing I am sure of is I believe that the three patches I
submitted and Laine's three patches for bind-dynamic are not the problem
... they are also applied to the version that works and only deal with
network stuff.

Gene