[libvirt] Globally Reserve Resources for Host

Dusty Mabe dustymabe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 13:16:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am interested in the capability to globally reserve resources(cpu and
memory) for a KVM host. I know you can configure memory limits for each
guest (http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsMemoryTuning), but
would like the ability to reserve host cpu and memory without having to
actively do it by modifying each guests xml.

For clarity, what I mean by "reserve resources" is that there are certain
cpus and a certain amount of memory that guests will never have access to.
This can be achieved using cgroups.

Does anyone think this functionality would be useful? This is primarily to
prevent the host from being starved when the allocation of guests have the
host overcommitted/oversubscribed.

Note: I think vmware has a similar functionality, but I am not sure as I
don't really use vmware
http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualpfe/archive/2011/08/29/hyper-v-dynamic-memory-and-host-memory-reserve-setting.aspx

Thanks for any thoughts,

Dusty