[libvirt] Proposed: replace radvd with dnsmasq for Router Advertizing

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Fri Nov 2 16:39:06 UTC 2012

On 11/02/2012 11:58 AM, Jiri Denemark wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 08:25:42 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> I have been doing some testing and dnsmasq is capable of handling the
>> service currently provided by radvd.  To implement this in dnsmasq
>> requires the following:
>>
>> if an IPv6 dhcp-range is specified, then add:
>>         enable-ra
>>
>> if no IPv6 dhcp-range is specified, then add:
>>         dhsp-range=<IPv6-subnet>,ra-only
>>
>> Tested.  The second one will work with basic dnsmasq-2.6.3.  The first
>> one and dhcp-range itself only works with dnsmasq-2.64 (when released)
>> or dnsmasq-2.63+patches.
>>
>> Since dnsmasq-2.48 does not support IPv6 dhcp but does handle IPv6 for
>> dns and CentOS 6 does include radvd, I also propose that a libvirtd.conf
>> option be added.  If the option is not present or set off, then radvd is
>> used.  If the option is set on, then dnsmasq is used.
> I think this should rather be handled by configure script (perhaps with an
> additional option if needed). Otherwise, I agree with the plan.
I can do that but then the individual backporting to (for example)
CentOS 6 with dnsmasq-2.48 would have to do nothing if DHCPv6 is not
wanted and, if DHCPv6 is wanted, to simply install dnsmasq-2.63+ and
change a libvirtd.conf parameter.

If the default is to use dnsmasq, then there are going to be mistakes
made.  If the default is to use radvd, then many systems will not change.

Gene