[libvirt] Proposal: no dnsmasq (no dhcp and no dns) and no radvd option

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Wed Nov 21 12:49:58 UTC 2012

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 07:18:20AM -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:

>>> That was already determined before I mentioned it to you - it's been
>>> requested several times, and I've told some people it was "going to
>>> happen", although didn't say when :-).

>>> The <bridge> element is commonly *not* specified manually, but is filled
>>> in automatically be libvirt, so I don't think it's a good place to put
>>> optional flags (you would end up manually specifying settings for the
>>> things that are automatically filled in, like the bridge name).
>>>
>>> If anything, I would say the choice would be between putting it in <dns>
>>> or in the toplevel <network>, i.e.:
>>>
>>>      <network>
>>>        <dns disable='yes'/> (or maybe "<dns enable='no'/> is better)
>>>      </network>
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>>      <network dns='no'>
>>>      </network>
>>>
>>> Or, maybe it would be even better to put it in the <ip> element:
>>>
>>>      <ip address='192.168.122.1' netmask='255.255.255.0' dns='no'/>
>>>
>>> that way you could have dnsmasq listen on some of the IP addresses
>>> defined for a network, but not others.
>>>
>>> At the same time, we probably to be able to disable ipv6 RA as well.
>>> Since that's only enabled when there is an ipv6 address, it can also be
>>> added into the <ip> element config:
>>>
>>>      <ip family='ipv6' address='f00d::1' ra='no'/> (or maybe
>>> "autoconf='no'" ?)
>>>
>>> Yeah, I think I like it best in <ip> (unless someone else has a better
>>> idea).
>> Not really better since I like the idea of adding this to <ip>.
>> However, I believe this is wrong!  it is a mistake to tie this to an
>> IP address.  Look at the problems that have occurred with dnsmasq.
> I agree, we should let this be controlled independently of
> the <ip> tag. You might want to allow DNS, without defining
> any IP elements at all.
Mmmm.  The only way this could work is if --interface=<virbrnn> was
specified.  Right now, if no IPv4 or IPv6 addresses are specified, this
this is not a virtual gateway device but a virtual network interface for
very isolated guest-to-guest only communications.  [see patch I just
submitted to make IPv6 have the same functionality as IPv4].

>> Instead, I suggest that this be an expansion to <network>.
>>   For example, <network dns='no'>.  This could also scratch
>> an itch of mine for specifying logging:
>>   <network dnslog='yes" dhcplog='yes'>.  Then there is the
>> issue with bind-intererface and bind-dynamic:
>>   <network bind='dynamic'>
> Since you envisage multiple config parameters related to
> DNS, this argues for a top level <dns> element to group
> them all together.
>
>    <network>
>      <dns.../>
>    </network>
Yes, dns currently has two possible items: dns=yes/no and dnslog=noyes.
But dhcplog=no/yes and bind=interface/dynamic are not really related to
dns.  I suggest just keeping it simple and at a single level under
<network>.  I hope I am making my point understandable because I am not
sure of the terminology used for discussing xml.

Gene