[libvirt] Proposal: no dnsmasq (no dhcp and no dns) and no radvd option

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Nov 26 16:19:08 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 10:40 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> I understand that you can define multiple IPv4 and multiple IPv6
> gateway addresses on a network interface but only one IPv4 DHCP and
> one IPv6 DHCP.  I can see the need for both IPv4 and IPv6 protocols on
> a single network "fabric" but I am not sure how many real network
> "fabrics" have multiple subnetworks on them.  Yes, it could be done
> but I am not certain why you would do that (and I am also sure that
> someone has a very valid reason for doing that).
Oops!  There may be a problem here with radvd!.

I have difficulty in understanding why one would define multiple IPv6
(or even IPv4) subnetworks on a single interface.  Well, I guess the
radvd authors did also: the AdvManagedFlag on/off applies to the entire
interface and no a specific network.

I am verifying this but there is a chance that dsnmasq could support
both for different subnetworks.

I guess that dnsmasq could be used to support one and radvd used to
support the other but ???

I believe this may need more discussion from others.  I would like to
have someone other than the two of us chime in on this.

Gene