[libvirt] [RFC] New API to retrieve node CPU map

Viktor Mihajlovski mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Oct 19 16:02:13 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 03:15 PM, Viktor Mihajlovski wrote:
> On 10/11/2012 02:27 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>>
>> That starts to feel rather complex.
> well :-)
>>
>> On the other hand, you have a point that returning maplen (number of
>> bytes allocated in the map) does NOT tell you how many cpus are online
>> without doing a population count of the result; worse, it cannot tell
>> you how many cpus are offline (a maplen of 1 is returned whether I have
>> 4 cpus or 8 cpus, so if the map contains the value 0xb, does that mean I
>> had a 4 cpu machine with cpu2 off, or an 8 cpu machine with cpu2 and
>> cpu4-7 off?).  So allowing the user to optionally ask how many cpus are
>> online or offline might indeed also be useful, in addition to the maplen
>> needed to return the bitmap.
>>
> I actually thought of returning the number of CPUs, i.e. relevant bits which
> of course makes either 'online' or 'offline' redundant.
> The maplen - if of interest - can be computed by VIR_CPU_MAPLEN.

I have a process question as the implementation I have posted on the
list at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2012-October/msg00803.html
would need a rebase because of upstream conflicts.
Should I send out new rebased versions once in a while, even if I have
no other changes or should I wait for initial feedback before producing
a new patch version?
Thanks.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards
    Viktor Mihajlovski

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen