[libvirt] necessary to limit container's network bandwidth when use physical nic in container?

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 08:52:41 UTC 2012

On 15.10.2012 10:35, Gao feng wrote:
> we can use tc to limit container's network bandwidth when the container uses veth device.
> because one of the veth devices will be seen in the host.so we can set tc rules on this
> device on the host.
>
> I want to know if it's necessary to limit container's network bandwidth when the container
> uses a physical nic device. because this nic device is only used by this container.
>
> And if this is necessary,Be there any good idea?
>
> Thanks!

Well, that depends. If you expect you guest to consume all bandwidth
then you need to set a floor on root eth. Guest is then still able to
use the full bandwidth, however if there are some packets for the host
those get prioritized. In general, it's a good idea, but to tell for
sure one should learn more about your usage scenario.

Michal