[libvirt] patch option needs clarification

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Mon Oct 22 17:36:30 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 11:24 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On 10/22/2012 09:26 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> I am pretty much complete creating a patch which changes how dnsmasq
>> is started by moving the command line parameters into a conf file.
>> This new file is placed into the same directory and the lease file.
>>
>> The test for the command line arguments now checks the contents of
>> the conf-file and there is no longer any tests for the command line
>> parameters which are now two.
>>
>> The first command line parameter is (naturally) --conf-file=<filename>.
>>
>> The second parameter adds new functionality and is
>> --conf-dir=<directory>.  This directory is placed into the same
>> directory as the conf-file and the lease file.  The name of this
>> directory is "<net-name>.d". This was added to make testing/debugging
>> of new dnsmasq options easier since it no longer requires rebuilding
>> the binaries.  This is also useful for adding log-dhcp and/or
>> log-queries for a specific network.
>>
>> Now the option question.  I can submit the patch assuming the my
>> previously submitted patch to add --interface to the command line has
>> been applied or I can assume that it has not been applied.  In either
>> case, the new code adds a interface=<dev-name> to the conf-file.
>>
>> All development and testing was done with 0.10.2 libvirt src.rpm on
>> Fedora 17.
>>
>> The patch will be submitted based on git.
>>

> I have checked and the patch applies clean to the v0.10.2-maint branch
> but has problems with the top level.  Is providing the patch against
> the v0.10.2-maint branch adequate or do you want it reworked (does not
> look like a big deal) to the top level?

It's much simpler if it applies to the head of master.

Try doing this:

1) "git log" and grab the commit ID

2) git checkout master

3) git pull

4) git checkout -b newbranch (or whatever you want to call it)

5) git cherry-pick ${commit-id}

This may give you a clean merge (at which point you can just "git
send-email -1") or it may give some conflicts. These conflicts will be
marked in the source file with:

<<<<<<<<<
code on current branch
=========
conflicting code from cherry-picked patch

do a hand merge of the differences, then run "git commit". You should
now have a properly merged commit - do "make check && make syntax-check"
then git send-email -1.