[libvirt] patch option needs clarification

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Mon Oct 22 19:17:37 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 09:26 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> I am pretty much complete creating a patch which changes how dnsmasq
> is started by moving the command line parameters into a conf file.
> This new file is placed into the same directory and the lease file.
>
> The test for the command line arguments now checks the contents of the
> conf-file and there is no longer any tests for the command line
> parameters which are now two.

This will also change the requirements of whether or not a dnsmasq
restart or "refresh" (SIGHUP) is required when certain pieces of the
network definition are changed with virNetworkUpdate(), but that can be
submitted as a separate patch. (basically, things that used to require a
change on the commandline, but now only require a change in the conf
file, will no longer require a restart).

> The first command line parameter is (naturally) --conf-file=<filename>.
>
> The second parameter adds new functionality and is
> --conf-dir=<directory>.  This directory is placed into the same
> directory as the conf-file and the lease file.  The name of this
> directory is "<net-name>.d". This was added to make testing/debugging
> of new dnsmasq options easier since it no longer requires rebuilding
> the binaries.  This is also useful for adding log-dhcp and/or
> log-queries for a specific network.
>
> Now the option question.  I can submit the patch assuming the my
> previously submitted patch to add --interface to the command line has
> been applied or I can assume that it has not been applied.  In either
> case, the new code adds a interface=<dev-name> to the conf-file.

Submit it assuming that the patch *has* been applied. I think we do need
to make that change (adding "--interface"), but it needs to be
explicitly visible in a separate patch (and we need to do some testing
before pushing it).