[libvirt] need help/clarification about git and patches.

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 16:31:39 UTC 2012

On 09/06/2012 09:59 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> Using git is more than a little different way of doing business for me.
> My usual way to create and apply a patch is to rebuild a src.rpm.  This
> way I have a lot less changes of screwing something up because of
> ignorance.
>
> It it a little while but I finally cloned a copy of libvirt.git.  I
> applied a patch to remove the "--filterwin2k" [one fixup because a test
> file changed slightly.  I then ran "git diff" and produce a new patch.

Seems reasonable.  If the instructions in HACKING could use an
improvement, let us know what we can do to make it better.

> OK, now what?  I did the "git commit" and then tried to do the "git
> send-email" like it says in your "hacking" document ...
>    "git: 'send-email' is not a git command.

Ah, that's because 'git send-email' is not packaged with 'git' in
Fedora.  You want to also install the 'git-email' package.  (Why it
isn't shipped as part of the core git package is beyond me, but I'm not
the package maintainer.)

> I am going to do what I believe is the right thing to do and submit the
> patch but there needs to be a bit more info as to how we should do things.

Feel free to ask questions like this.  Sounds like our HACKING should
mention the 'git-email' package on Fedora, for starters.