[libvirt] Memory free in libvirt JNA

Benjamin Wang (gendwang) gendwang at cisco.com
Sun Sep 9 14:09:45 UTC 2012

Hi,
   I wrote a code to verify the memory leak problem as following.
C code in so:
void checkJNAMemLeak1(int **head, int *length)
{
    long i = 0;

    *head = (int *)malloc(sizeof(int) * 100000000);
    for(i=0; i<100000000; i++)
    {
        (*head)[i] = 1;
    }

    *length = 100000000;
}

Java code:
	public static void testJNAMemLeak1()
	{
		PointerByReference head = new PointerByReference();
		IntByReference length = new IntByReference();

		while(true)
		{
			libben.checkJNAMemLeak1(head, length);
			System.out.println(length.getValue());
			sleep(1);

		}
	}

When we check memory by top command, the virt and res will increase very quickly. When we check with jconsole, there is no memory in Java heap. Even I execute GC manually by jconsole. Nothing happen.

If I change java code as following:
	public static void testJNAMemLeak1()
	{
		PointerByReference head = new PointerByReference();
		IntByReference length = new IntByReference();

		while(true)
		{
			libben.checkJNAMemLeak1(head, length);
			System.out.println(length.getValue());
			sleep(1);

			libc.free(head.getValue());
		}
	}

	public static void testJNAMemLeak1()
	{
		PointerByReference head = new PointerByReference();
		IntByReference length = new IntByReference();

		while(true)
		{
			libben.checkJNAMemLeak1(head, length);
			System.out.println(length.getValue());
			sleep(1);

			libc.free(head.getValue());
		}
	}

Then everything works well. The virt and res will not increase.
I think we must provide the free functions for all the memory allocated by libvirt.

B.R.
Benjamin Wang