[libvirt] TSC scaling interface to management

Marcelo Tosatti mtosatti at redhat.com
Sun Sep 23 02:06:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 11:30:31PM +0300, Dor Laor wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 05:51 AM, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> >>I'm not sure I understand the exact difference between the offers.
> >>We can define these 3 options:
> >>
> >>1. Qemu/kvm won't make use of tsc scaling feature at all.
> >>2. tsc scaling is used and we take the value either from the host or
> >>    from the live migration data that overrides the later for incoming.
> >>    As you've said, it should be passed through a sub section.
> >>3. Manual setting of the value (uncommon).
> >>
> >>Is there another option worth considering?
> >>The questions is what should be the default. IMHO #2 is more
> >>appropriate to serve as a default since we do expect tsc to change
> >>between hosts.
> >
> >Option 1. is more appropriate to serve as a default given that
> >modern guests make use of paravirt, as you have observed.
>
> but you also observed that legacy applications that use rdtsc (even
> over pv kernel) will still be affected by the physical tsc
> frequency. Since I'm not aware of downside for using scaling, I
> rather pick opt #2 as a default.

The downside is that, if your destination host does not support tsc
scaling, two possibilities arise:

1) destination tsc frequency > source tsc frequency: TSC trap
2) destination tsc frequency < source tsc frequency: TSC catchup

TSC trapping is not wanted, because it is slow.
This is the downside.

Note Intel does not support tsc scaling.