[libvirt] Google Summer of Code 2013 ideas wiki open

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 06:34:18 UTC 2013

On 10.04.2013 15:13, harryxiyou wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've also got some ideas like following for GSOC 2013.
>
> Storage driver jobs.
>
> Currently, there is no Libvirt storage API to rename storage volume,
> storage pool, snapshot, etc. There is also no Libvirt API to move
> volume from one pool to another using libvirt API. Possibly those
> pools could have different backend (lvm, dir, ...). So i wanna finish
> these jobs for Libvirt during GSOC 2013. See following in details.
>

> 1, Rename storage volume. I will develop ' virsh vol-rename xxx'
> option for virsh tool.
>
> 2, Rename storage pool. I will develop 'virsh pool-rename xxx'
> option for virsh tool.
>
> 3, Rename snapshot. I will develop 'virsh snapshot-rename xxx'
> option for virsh tool.

I am not sure we want *rename virsh commands. Not only for storage, but
in general. And even if we do want these, they don't require a new API.
They can be implemented with simple vir*GetXML(); vir*Define();
vir*Undefine();

> 4, Move volume from one pool to another. I will develop 'virsh vol-move xxx'
> option for virsh tool.

This one makes more sense, however I am worried about difficulty a bit.
A GSoC project should take 3 months for a student to complete. This is
something that even unexperienced user can accomplish in less than a month.

> Well, currently, these are just good ideas for Libvirt GSOC 2013. I will
> give detail design plan for these stuffs according to the workflow of GSOC.
> Could anyone give me some suggestions?
> Thanks very much in advance.

Michal