[libvirt] Google Summer of Code 2013 ideas wiki open

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Apr 15 16:22:05 UTC 2013

On 04/15/2013 09:16 AM, harryxiyou wrote:
>> I could be if you want, but the question is which project you are focusing
>> on? This one or the renaming APIs? And as far as I got from the wiki page,
>> we generally don't want the student fails, and the renaming APIs work is
>> much simpler than this one, and thus more possible to succeed in 12 weeks.
>>
>> So Personally I'd suggest adding the renaming APIs as a project into the
>> wiki
>> instead.
>
> Yup, renaming APIs should be a project into the wiki. Thanks, let me rephrase
> my idea for Libvirt storage during GSOC again.
>

> Project name: The renaming APIs support for all objects.

> that is to say, not only for storage volume but also for storage pool,
> snapshots, etc.

This indeed feels like a reasonable project, where there is enough work
to do to fill up 12 weeks of good effort while still having something
measurable to commit, and where the design is known enough in advance
that it won't be stalled by developer discussion on correct design.
While the work should definitely start with offline renames, there is
also room for some additional scope such as online rename support for
hypervisors such as ESX that might already provide such functionality
natively and where the existing libvirt approach of dumpxml/define may
be inadequate to expose the full hypervisor capability.

> Sill level: Beginner
>
> Mentor: Osier Yang.
>
> Osier, would you please give the summary in details, thanks very
> much in advance.
>
> Any Comments? Thanks in advance ;-)

Remember that not all good ideas will be selected, but I think you are
finally settling into a good idea.  And even if you don't get accepted
by GSOC, your idea for contribution is still useful and would still be
worth working on.