[libvirt] The problems of default settings

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 17:06:20 UTC 2013

On 03/29/2013 01:03 AM, Li Zhang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am recently considering about the default setting for different
> platforms.
> Currently, there is no good way to fix the default setting for PPC64
> platform.
> For example, we prefer pseries on PPC64 as the default machine type
> users don't need to specify it.

There is already active work being done on the problem, since even on
x86 machines, the current 'pc' vs. the upcoming 'q35' board emulation
differences requires that libvirt be able to handle a different set of
default devices.  You may be interested in following these threads:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-March/msg00215.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-March/msg01697.html

where we are trying to refactor code to make it easier to separate XML
parsing from supplying defaults appropriate to the hypervisor, where
such defaults may differ according to the machine type the hypervisor is
controlling.

Also, there is still some interface work needed in qemu so that libvirt
can reliably learn what defaults are appropriate for each machine type:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-March/msg00020.html