[libvirt] [RFC] Per machine type qemu capability detection

Viktor Mihajlovski mihajlov at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Apr 4 17:13:08 UTC 2013

On 04/04/2013 06:20 PM, Peter Krempa wrote:

> My question is: Is it worthwhile to do per machine type capability
> detection? It definitely isn't worth doing just for the get-cpu-max
> support, but it might be needed for Q35 or other stuff that may depend
> on the actual machine type used.
I am very sympathetic there because for s390 the machine type defines
the bus type and thus has an considerable impact on the device
configuration options. On the other hand QEMU unfortunately fails to
offer per-machine device capabilities today. See also
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-February/msg00537.html
and Dan's concerns with that approach.
In a better world the QMP interface might allow to query per machine type
(one can always dream...)

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Kind Regards
   Viktor Mihajlovski

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Köderitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen