[libvirt] Google Summer of Code 2013 ideas wiki open

harryxiyou harryxiyou at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 02:43:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Daniel P. Berrange
> <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> I am not sure we want *rename virsh commands. Not only for storage, but
>>> in general. And even if we do want these, they don't require a new API.
>>> They can be implemented with simple vir*GetXML(); vir*Define();
>>> vir*Undefine();
>>
>> Actually I disagree - I think you want explicit APIs for renames, so that
>> it can be done atomically / with minimal risk of failure halfway.

>>> This one makes more sense, however I am worried about difficulty a bit.
>>> A GSoC project should take 3 months for a student to complete. This is
>>> something that even unexperienced user can accomplish in less than a month.
>>
>> Isn't all the libvirt functionality for this already existing? it it
>> is basically just  virStorageVolCreateFrom(...original vol) and then
>> delete the original volume.
>
> Michal said earlier that virsh vol-move seemed too small a task.
>
> Do you think that these 4 tasks together merit a 12-week project?

Let me give a summary about my ideas for Libvirt of GSOC 2013.

Libvirt storage jobs.

This project includes renaming storage volume(storage pool, snapshot,etc),
moving volume from one pool to another, the capability support for storage
driver (like virsh capabilities for the hypervisor drivers, e.g. what pool types
it supports, what volume types each pool type supports, even may what
operations/APIs the pool type support, ...etc).

If these ones(or portions of them) are deserved to do, we should add them
to our wiki of GSOC 2013. Students will submit their applications for these
ideas at April 22nd. Could anyone please review these ideas(or portions
of them)? Thanks very much in advance.

--
Thanks
Harry Wei