[libvirt] Google Summer of Code 2013 ideas wiki open

harryxiyou harryxiyou at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 01:08:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> This indeed feels like a reasonable project, where there is enough work
> to do to fill up 12 weeks of good effort while still having something
> measurable to commit, and where the design is known enough in advance
> that it won't be stalled by developer discussion on correct design.

I will give my design plan for this project here which developers can
discuss my design so that we can get a good conclusion.

> While the work should definitely start with offline renames, there is
> also room for some additional scope such as online rename support for
> hypervisors such as ESX that might already provide such functionality
> natively and where the existing libvirt approach of dumpxml/define may
> be inadequate to expose the full hypervisor capability.

Yup. Online rename support is also included for this project. Osier has
rephrased the summary like following, let me add online rename support.

Project name: Add rename APIs for all objects

network, interface, nwfilter, secret, storage pool, storage volume and
online rename support for hypervisors, etc.

[...]
> Remember that not all good ideas will be selected, but I think you are
> finally settling into a good idea.  And even if you don't get accepted
> by GSOC, your idea for contribution is still useful and would still be
> worth working on.

Sure, actually, i love the storage portions of Libvirt very much. If not
accepted by GSOC, i will also finish my ideas for Libvirt. In fact, I wanna
do some deserved jobs(about storage knowledge) for Libvirt community.

Very thanks for your comments ;-)

--
Thanks
Harry Wei