[libvirt] Please help confirm this upsream issue

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Aug 7 12:32:02 UTC 2013

> On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 02:34:56AM -0400, Zhenfeng Wang wrote:
>> Hi
>> I just try to verify the bug 828546 with the latest libvirt version on rhel7,
>> and found an issue that the on_crash element on guest's xml didn't support
>> the "rename-restart" events on the upsteam. I discussed this issue with eric before,
>> he said that this feature was implemented by fujitsu first, he didn't backported this
>> and he just backported what upstream does, also he was not sure if Fujitsu implemented
>> the "rename-restart" events either, so can you help me confirm that should we support
>> the "rename-restart" events on the upstream? thanks
>
> The bug you quote is marked private so people on this list cannot
> view it. Your question is a matter for RHEL engineers to answer, not
> the libvirt community, so please take it off this list.

Although the question was poorly worded by referring to downstream
elements, I still think the concept behind the question is appropriate
for upstream.  That is:

What good is the "rename-restart" <on_*> XML element?  Is it wired up
for anything other than xen?

A grep of the code base shows only:

src/conf/domain_conf.h:    VIR_DOMAIN_LIFECYCLE_RESTART_RENAME,
src/conf/domain_conf.h:    VIR_DOMAIN_LIFECYCLE_CRASH_RESTART_RENAME,
src/nwfilter/nwfilter_ebiptables_driver.c:#define
NWFILTER_FUNC_RENAME_CHAINS ebiptables_script_func_rename_chains
src/nwfilter/nwfilter_ebiptables_driver.c:    virBufferAsprintf(buf,
NWFILTER_FUNC_RENAME_CHAINS,
src/qemu/qemu_driver.c:        vm->def->onPoweroff ==
VIR_DOMAIN_LIFECYCLE_RESTART_RENAME) {
src/test/test_driver.c:    case VIR_DOMAIN_LIFECYCLE_RESTART_RENAME:
src/xenapi/xenapi_utils.c:    else if (action ==
VIR_DOMAIN_LIFECYCLE_CRASH_RESTART_RENAME)
src/xenapi/xenapi_utils.c:        num =
XEN_ON_CRASH_BEHAVIOUR_RENAME_RESTART;
src/xenapi/xenapi_utils.c:    else if (action ==
XEN_ON_CRASH_BEHAVIOUR_RENAME_RESTART)
src/xenapi/xenapi_utils.c:        num =
VIR_DOMAIN_LIFECYCLE_CRASH_RESTART_RENAME;

which looks like only xen has wired up the ability to automatically
rename a domain when restarting it.  If so, we ought to update
formatdomain.html to better clarify that not all actions are supported
for all hypervisors.  (Hmm, that page already admits that
<on_poweroff>rename-restart</on_poweroff> is treated like plain
'restart' for qemu/kvm; so really the question is whether we copied that
behavior for the new support for <on_crash>).