[libvirt] Hyper-V driver API version support

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 9 16:38:46 UTC 2013

2013/8/9 Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>:

>> > Hi Daniel
>> >
>> > I don't know which api is used for the driver handling, maybe you mean this
>> > one here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa155227.aspx
>> >
>> > I tested the following command on our micro$oft server:
>> > PS C:\Users\administrator> gwmi -namespace "root\virtualization"
>> > Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService
>> >

>> > __GENUS                 : 2
>> > __CLASS                 : Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService
>> > __SUPERCLASS            : CIM_VirtualSystemManagementService
>> > __DYNASTY               : CIM_ManagedElement
>> > __RELPATH               :
>> > Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService.CreationClassName="Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService",N
>> >
>> > ame="vmms",SystemCreationClassName="Msvm_ComputerSystem",SystemName="VSRV1"
>> > __PROPERTY_COUNT        : 21
>> > __DERIVATION            : {CIM_VirtualSystemManagementService, CIM_Service,
>> > CIM_EnabledLogicalElement,
>> >                           CIM_LogicalElement...}
>> > __SERVER                : VSRV1
>> > __NAMESPACE             : root\virtualization
>> > __PATH                  :
>> > \\VSRV1\root\virtualization:Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService.CreationClassName="Msvm_
>> >
>> > VirtualSystemManagementService",Name="vmms",SystemCreationClassName="Msvm_ComputerSystem",Sys
>> >                           temName="VSRV1"
>> > Caption                 : Hyper-V Virtual System Management Service
>> > CreationClassName       : Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService
>> > Description             : Service for creating, manipulating, and managing
>> > virtual systems
>> > ElementName             : Hyper-V Virtual System Management Service
>> > EnabledDefault          : 2
>> > EnabledState            : 2
>> > HealthState             : 5
>> > InstallDate             : 20130717120539.000000-000
>> > Name                    : vmms
>> > OperationalStatus       : {2}
>> > OtherEnabledState       :
>> > PrimaryOwnerContact     :
>> > PrimaryOwnerName        :
>> > RequestedState          : 12
>> > Started                 : True
>> > StartMode               :
>> > Status                  : OK
>> > StatusDescriptions      : {The service is running normally}
>> > SystemCreationClassName : Msvm_ComputerSystem
>> > SystemName              : VSRV1
>> > TimeOfLastStateChange   : 20130801095437.000000-000
>> > PSComputerName          : VSRV1
>> >
>> > so I think we can query the state like this:
>> > PS C:\Users\administrator> gwmi -namespace "root\virtualization"
>> > Msvm_VirtualSystemManagementService | select Status
>> >

>> > Status
>> > ------
>> > OK
>> >
>> > It's not the version, but we need something to let libvirt stonith know,
>> > that the stonith device can connect to hyperv and the hyperv service is
>> > running..
>>
>> The Hyper-V driver in libvirt already checks if the host has the
>> Hyper-V role installed on connect. It does this by checking for the
> [...]

I understood that :)

But he doesn't actually need the version information, as far as I
understood his problem. The point is to say hello to the Hyper-V
server to see if it waves back indicating that it's still alive.

My point is that a successful "virsh connect" already provides this
aliveness information. Also there is virConnectIsAlive that is meant
for this purpose, but it's not wired up directly as command in virsh.

If one really insists on having more communication with the Hyper-V
server then "virsh nodeinfo" can be used instead of the currently not
implemented "virsh version" command for Hyper-V.

If the version information is really necessary in this case then that
can be implemented, but IIRC I didn't implemented this yet, because I
hadn't figure out where in the WMI data the required version
information is to be found.

--
Matthias Bolte
http://photron.blogspot.com