[libvirt] Libvirt multi queue support

Naor Shlomo NaorS at Radware.com
Thu Aug 29 06:55:24 UTC 2013

How odd.

The Kernel is the first thing I upgraded, here's the output of "uname -r":
3.10.9

I searched for IFF_MULTI_QUEUE in /usr/include/linux/if_tun.h and indeed it wasn't there.
I believe Kernel 3.10 should support the Multi Queue, do I need to recompile it? maybe change its config file?

-----Original Message-----
From: Michal Privoznik [mailto:mprivozn at redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 9:28 AM
To: Naor Shlomo
Cc: libvir-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [libvirt] Libvirt multi queue support

On 29.08.2013 08:07, Naor Shlomo wrote:
> Hi Michal
>
> First of all thanks for your reply.
>
> I followed your advice and the guideline you sent and did the following:
>
>    <interface type='bridge'>
>       <mac address='52:54:00:43:6e:3f'/>
>       <source bridge='clients'/>
>       <model type='virtio'/>
>       <driver name='vhost' queues='5'/>
>       <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
>     </interface>
>
> virsh version reports the following:
>
> Compiled against library: libvirt 1.1.1 Using library: libvirt 1.1.1
> Using API: QEMU 1.1.1 Running hypervisor: QEMU 1.5.2
>
> When I tried starting the machine I received the following:
>
> error: Failed to start domain NaorDev
> error: unsupported configuration: Multiqueue devices are not supported
> on this system
>
> Could you please tell what am I missing?
>
> Thanks,
> Naor

Your kernel does not support MQ yet. You need to update the kernel. The support can be checked by executing:

grep IFF_MULTI_QUEUE /usr/include/linux/if_tun.h

(so maybe you'll need to update the linux-headers package as well).
Anyway, the MQ support has been introduced to kernel in the 3.8 release (even though the docs were introduced in 3.9).

Michal