[libvirt] Question about how to contribute patches

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Aug 29 09:45:37 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 05:08:04PM +0800, hzguanqiang at corp.netease.com wrote:
> Hi exports,
>
> I tried to contribute a patch to fix a bug, following the contributor guidelines
> on http://libvirt.org/hacking.html.
>
> After I do the 'git send-email' operation and edit the email content, It returns:

[snip]

> Does this mean everything is done? Or do I still need to do other thing?
> Since I do this operation, It had passed three hours and I still can't
> find my patch email on 'libvir-list'.

Based on your logs it looks like git sent the emails to the smtp server
on your local machine. Presumably you don't have that setup to actually
deliver the mail ?

You probably want to tell git to use your company's primary SMTP server
for delivery.

I use a simple wrapper script for git send-mail

  $ cat ~/bin/git-spam
  #!/bin/sh

  dohelp() {
         echo "syntax: $0 TO-ADDR REV-LIST"
  }

  if [ -z "$2" ]; then
     dohelp;
     exit 1
  fi

  TO=$1
  REV=$2
  shift
  shift

  git send-email --cover-letter --annotate --to "$TO" --smtp-server=smtp.corp.redhat.com --no-chain-reply-to $REV "$@"

Replace 'smtp.corp.redhat.com' with your own company's SMTP server
address.

Assuming, I'm on a branch and have a series of patches to send, then I use
it as follows

   git-spam libvir-list at redhat.com master..

If I only want to send one single patch then I would use

  git-spam libvir-list at redhat.com -1 --no-cover-letter