[libvirt] RFC: Splitting python binding out into a separate repo & ading to PyPi

Doug Goldstein cardoe at gentoo.org
Thu Aug 29 13:38:35 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 6:24 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>wrote:
<snip>

> In RHEL world too, bundling of libvirt + its python binding is causing
> pain with the fairly recent concept of "software collections"[2]. This
> allows users to install multiple versions of languages like Python, Perl,
> etc on the same box in parallel. To use libvirt python with thse alternate
> python installs though, requires that they recompile the entire libvirt
> distribution just to get the Python binding. This is obviously not an
> approach that works for most people, particularly if they're looking to
> populate their software collection using 'pip' rather than RPM.
>
> <snip>

Same reason on Gentoo as well. Gentoo has supported multiple Python
installations for years now and I've alternated between some kludge magic
to try to make some more work with libvirt and finally ended up hardcoding
Gentoo's libvirt Python bindings to just 2.7 which constantly causes me
grief in the form of bug reports for other versions. So I support this
effort whole heartedly and will gladly lend a hand where time permits.

--
Doug Goldstein