[libvirt] RFC: Splitting python binding out into a separate repo & ading to PyPi

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Fri Aug 30 08:18:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 03:27:42PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On the other hand moving to a separate repo would likely lose our git history
> (not sure if we can keep it, i doubt) which would be a bummer IMHO.

You can use git filter-branch to extract the python bindings (assuming it's self
contained in the python/ directory) while keeping history:

« To rewrite the repository to look as if foodir/ had been its project root,
and discard all other history:

    git filter-branch --subdirectory-filter foodir -- --all
»
(this example comes from git filter-branch manpage)

Christophe