[libvirt] Internal error message from netcf when trying to start libvirtd

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 17:40:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 06:38:37PM +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 02.12.2013 18:24, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >> Sorry for bringing up a dead thread, but as you both may have noticed I
> >> was trying to solve this too:
> >>
> >> https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-November/msg01311.html
> >>
> >> And I don't think Dan, your approach is gonna work. I mean, the reason
> >> for running virStateInitialize in thread is - it may take ages to
> >
> > Actually no, the reason for using a thread is that the initialization
> > code needs to have a working event loop - so you cannot run the
> > virStateInitialize code from the same thread that is running the
> > event loop.
>
> Okay, this might be the reason too.
>

> > You're probably thinking of the QEMU VM autostart code, whicih spawns a
> > separate thread to auto-start QEMU VMs to avoid delaying use of the QEMU
> > driver while (slow) autostart takes place.
> >

> No. I am thinking of the stateAutostart member which is called from
> within virStateInitialize(). In case of qemu driver it's
> qemuStateAutoStart() what is called, which boils down to calling
> qemuProcessStart over each autostart domain without spawning a separate
> thread for it. The thread you have in mind is used for
> qemuProcessReconnect() not qemuProcessStart().
>
> >> complete. Hence, serializing virState* will lead to main thread waiting
> >> for the virStateInitialize to complete (which may not happen, i.e. in
> >> case of deadlock somewhere in a driver).
> >>
> >> But I was thinking of rather refined locking. Turning each of
> >> vir*DriverTab into virObjectLockable(). Then, each access would require
> >> object to lock itself. Moreover, the virStateCleanup would unregister
> >> the driver. Unfortunately, it could only unregister stateful drivers.
> >
> > This race condition scenario only hits us in two cases
> >
> >  - libvirtd startup is being aborted due to some failure
> >    while StateInit is still running
> >  - libvirtd reload is triggered by SIGHUP causing StateReload
> >    to run
>
> I can see the third scenario: the daemon exiting the event loop, i.e. as
> a result of timeout or SIGINT. In this case you don't want to wait for
> virStateInitialize() to finish, do you?

If the event loop exits then in fact the virStateInitialize may never
complete, since it requires a functioning event loop. So in this case
then you cannot safely call virStateCleanup at all and we should just
skip it entirely and exit with trying to cleanup. The cleanup code is
pretty much worthless from a functional POV anyway - it is just there
to make valgrind happy.