[libvirt] [libvirt-glib 1/4] Alphabetically sort libvirt-glib sym files

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 14:08:05 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 12:37:58PM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> This is in preparation to enforcing this sorting during make check.
> The script only checks for alphabetical sorting, which leads to unexpected
> sorting between classes sharing a common prefix (eg the correct order is:
> gvir_config_domain_get_foo;
> gvir_config_domain_interface_set_foo;
> gvir_config_domain_set_foo;
>
> instead of
>
> gvir_config_domain_get_foo;
> gvir_config_domain_set_foo;
> gvir_config_domain_interface_set_foo;
>
> if we want to keep methods from the same class grouped in the symbol file.

Yep, slightly odd.

The only way to deal with this would be to introduce another level of
grouping. eg in libvirt we put a magic comment with the filename just
before each group of symbols, so we sort first by filename and then
by symbol name.

Not sure if it is worth going to this bother or not here. I don't care
much either way, as long as we're consistent in our sorting.

ACK