[libvirt] python pypi package - backport older version?

Jason Antman jason at jasonantman.com
Wed Dec 18 12:51:00 UTC 2013

Hello,

First off, thanks for the wonderful project, and thanks even more for
all of the excellent work on the Python bindings lately.

I'm working on a small project to collect data on kvm hosts/guests via a
python collector client and display the data in a web interface. It
works beautifully when using my various distros' OS packages for
libvirt-python, but I've hit a bit of a snag when trying to do automated
testing. I'm quite happy to see libvirt-python packaged as a python
package and on pypi, but the version there is 1.2.0, which requires
libvirt >= 0.9.11.

Unfortunately, I was planning to test my python app on travis-ci, which
runs Ubuntu Precise (12.04 LTS), and the latest version of libvirt for
that is 0.9.8 (package python-libvirt 0.9.8-2ubuntu17.13).

If I were to submit a patch, would there be any interest in me
backporting the setup.py/packaging work to an older version of the
python bindings - say 0.9.8 - and getting it published on pypi?

Thanks,
Jason Antman
CMGdigital
Atlanta, GA