[libvirt] [Libvirt]How to get libvirt version after git clone?

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Sat Feb 2 15:18:31 UTC 2013

On 02/02/2013 08:07 AM, harryxiyou wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Matthias Bolte
> <matthias.bolte at googlemail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> You can look at the AC_INIT line in configure.ac
>>
>> AC_INIT([libvirt], [1.0.2], [libvir-list at redhat.com], [], [http://libvirt.org])
>>
>> the second argument is the latest released version.
>
> This is just the *latest released version* but my download libvirt
> repo's version.
>

>> You can also use
>>
>> git describe --abbrev=0
>>
>> to get the latest tag, as released versions and release candidates are tagged.
>>

> This is the latest tag. I think download libvirt repo may have no version, which
> has just latest released version or latest tag, right?

Running the latest commit in the libvirt.git:master branch is the latest
version.  We don't go to any effort to give it a different version
number, though, so the built product will match the latest release
(currently 1.0.2).  Perhaps we could tweak things so that when built
from git, 'virsh --version' would report the git version that was used
to build things, but so far, that hasn't been on anyone's high-priority
list.  It is generally assumed that if you are competent enough to be
building directly from latest git, then you are also competent to know
how to use 'git describe' to tell what commit you are building.