[libvirt] libvirt support for LXC

Kunal Kushwaha kunalkushwahaoss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:21:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am new to this community and am not much aware of current status libvirt
work for LXC.

Currently I am evaluating LXC with libvirt.
and I found still many features like checkpoint/restore/live migration ,
Attach storage device etc are not implemented.

Is there any work going on these feature? or any plan or Roadmap?

Following is a table showing libvirt functionality support for LXC.

Please feel free to comment in case, I am wrong or tested not propely the
libvirt and marked some working feature as not working for LXC.

  Sr. No.

Command Name

Description (brief)

Status (working or not)

01

autostart

Enable and disable the automatic starting of a guest domain when the
libvirt daemon starts.

ₒ

02

Console

connect to the virtual serial console for the guest.

ₒ

03

create

creates a guest domain from an xml file # does not work. gives error.

-

04

Define

defines but doesnt start a guest domain from an xml file

○

05

destroy

immediately terminates a running guest domain and releases any resources in
use by it. Not to be used lightly

○

06

attach-disk  / detach-disk

attach or detach a disk device

Note : Doesnt work. maybe i am doing something wrong.

-

07

domjobinfo

info about running guest domain jobs

-

08

domjobabort

aborts current running guest domain job

-

09

Dump

Core dump a guest domain

-

10

managedsave / managedsave-remove

Save and destroy a running guest domain, so it can be restarted from the
same state at a later time. When the virsh start command is next run for
the guest domain, it will automatically be started from this saved state

-

11

Migrate **

migrates a guest domain to another host

12

Reboot

Runs a reboot in the guest domain

-

13

Restore

restores a guest domain

-

14

Resume

resumes a guest domain

○

15

Save

saves the running state of a guest domain to a file.

-

16

shutdown

runs shutdown in a guest domain

-

17

Start

starts a guest domain either form a last managedsave or via a fresh boot if
no managed save is present

○

18

Update-device

update device from an XML file

-

19

virt-viewer

display a vnc type interface to running domain

○

20

maxvcpus

show maximum number of virtual CPUs for guest domains on this connection

-

21

memtune

gets or sets the current memory parameters for a guest domain

○

22

schedinfo

show or set scheduler parameters

○

23

setmaxmem

change the maximum memory allocation limit in the guest domain

○

24

setmem

change the current memory allocation in the guest domain

○

25

setvcpus

change the number of virtual cpus in the guest domain

-

26

vcpuinfo

returns basic info about the guest domains virtual CPU's

-

27

dominfo

displays some basic information about the domain specified

○

28

dommemstat

displays info about the memory statistics of the domain

-

29

domblkinfo

gets the block device size or a guest domain

○

30

domblkstat

gets device block stats for a running guest domain

○

31

domifstat

gets network interface stat for a running guest domain

○

32

dominfo

gets basic information about a guest domain

○

33

dommemstat

gets memory statistics for a running guest domain

○

34

domstate

returns the state of a guest domain i.e. whether running etc

○

35

list

returns a list of guest domains

○

36

Capabilities

returns the capabilities of the host and guest in xml format

○

37

freecell

Display available free memory for a NUMA cell

○

38

hostname

Display the name of the hypervisor host

○

39

nodeinfo

Returns basic information about the node

○

40

iface-define

define a physical host network interface.

The file expected is of the type xml.

We have an example of how it is executed.

○

41

iface-destroy

shutsdown and siables a physical host network device

○

42

iface-dumpxml

Output information for a physical host network interface, as an XML dump to
stdout

○

43

iface-list

Returns a list of physical host network interfaces

○

44

iface-start

Enables and starts a physical host network interface

○

45

iface-undefine

Removes the configuration information for a physical host network interface

○

46

net-autostart

Enable or disable the automatic starting of a virtual network, when the
libvirt daemon starts

○

47

net-define

Adds a new permanent virtual network from an XML file, without starting it

○

48

net-dumpxml

Displays the XML configuration for a virtual network (to stdout)

○

49

net-edit

opens the network config xml for editing by user.

○

50

net-info

displays basic information about a network

○

51

net-start

starts a network

○

52

net-undefine

undefines a network from the configuration file.

○

53

Domain snapshot commands (multiple)

Does not work with LXC.