[libvirt] feature suggestion: migration network

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 09:51:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 02:00:57PM +0200, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> vdsm-vdsm and libvirt-libvirt communication is authenticated, but I am
> not sure at all that qemu-qemu communication is.
>
> After qemu is sprung up on the destination with
>     -incoming <some ip>:<some port> , anything with access to that
> address could hijack the process. Our migrateURI starts with "tcp://"
> with all the consequences of this. That a good reason to make sure
> <some ip> has as limited access as possible.

The QEMU<->QEMU communication channel is neither authenticated or
encrypted, so if you are allowing migration directly over QEMU TCP
channels you have a requirement for a trusted, secure mgmt network
for this traffic.

If your network is not trusted, then currently the only alternative
is to make use of libvirt tunnelled migration.

I would like to see QEMU gain support for using TLS on its migration
sockets, so that you can have a secure QEMU<->QEMU path without needing
to tunnel via libvirtd.