[libvirt] git send-email should not allow 'y' for in-reply-to

Jeff King peff at peff.net
Fri Jan 11 18:54:17 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 10:43:39AM -0800, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:

> >   People answer 'y' to "Who should the emails appear to be from?"  and
> >   'n' to "Message-ID to be used as In-Reply-To for the first email?"
> >   for some unknown reason.  While it is possible that your local
> >   username really is "y" and you are sending the mail to your local
> >   colleagues, it is possible, and some might even say it is likely,
> >   that it is a user error.
>
> I have never used Git's email support so this doesn't affect me one
> way or another but it seems that checking the results is fixing the
> symptoms, not the problem? I apologize if this was already discussed
> but I couldn't find such a discussion.

It depends on who you are. If you are the person running send-email,
then the symptom is your confusion. If you are somebody else, the
symptom is somebody else sending out a bogus email. That patch fixes
only the latter. :)

More seriously, I agree that re-wording the question is a reasonable
thing to do. I do not use send-email, either, so I don't have a strong
opinion on it. The suggestions you made:

> How about "What Message-ID to use as In-Reply-To for the first email?"
> or "Provide the Message-ID to use as In-Reply-To for the first
> email:".

seem fine to me. Maybe somebody who has been confused by it can offer
more. At any rate, patches welcome.

-Peff