[libvirt] [RFC] Data in the <topology> element in the capabilities XML

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 23:12:35 UTC 2013

On 01/16/13 21:24, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 05:06:21PM -0300, Amador Pahim wrote:

Well not for all machines in the wild out there. This is a very similar
approach that libvirt uses now to detect the topology and it is not
enough to detect threads on AMD Bulldozer as the cpus corresponding to
the threads have different core_id's (they are also considered as cores
from the perspective of the kernel). This is unfortunate for the
virtualization management tools as oVirt that still consider the AMD
Bulldozer "module" as a 1 core with two threads, even if it registers as
two cores.

For AMD Bulldozer to be detected correctly, we would need to expose the
thread_id's along with thread siblings information to determine the two
threads belonging together.

Peter