[libvirt] aiding first-time posters [was: iptables --physdev-out warnings]

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 01:02:57 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 04:36 AM, Reinier Schoof wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we've experienced some issues with starting lots of KVM based VM's with
> libvirt. Since I couldn't find any clues on the libvirt mailing list,
> I'm posting the way I fixed the issues.

Any reason you posted this message twice?  Oh, probably because you
weren't aware of the first-time moderation delay (for both subscribers
and non-subscribers), and weren't sure your message made it through.
You aren't the only person to commit this faux pas, but I'm wondering if
there is somewhere else that we could document the issue that would have
spared you from the double post.

We have already documented it here:
http://libvirt.org/contact.html
"It is recommended but not required that you subscribe before posting to
the user and development lists. Posts from non-subscribers will be
subject to manual moderation delays. You can subscribe at the linked web
pages above."

But that was not at the top of the page, and I'm not even sure that you
viewed that page when figuring out how to send us mail.  So, I'm asking
if you can help us improve the first-time posting experience for other
users, with ideas of how we can better explain the list mechanics along
the path that you used to find where to report your issue.