[libvirt] libvirt and python3

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 09:01:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 02:13:59PM -0400, Dave Allan wrote:
> I've seen a bunch of interest in python3 [1,2,3].  Has anybody started
> thinking about python3 bindings for libvirt?

I'm not going to do any work on it, but I have two requirements here

 - We should not end up maintaining two separate bindings. We want to
   minimize the duplication of code to as great an extent as possible,
   as close to zero extra overhead as possible in fact. The generator
   will help, but there's still hand-written C code & python code that
   we really don't want to be duplicating

 - We should be able to build both python2 & python3 at once. ie you
   should not need to run ./configure --with-python=2|3, in order to
   choose. We should detect both python2 & python3 at once & build
   both if both are available.