[libvirt] memory leak in snapshot and since at least 1.0.2?

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 26 15:36:25 UTC 2013

Hi,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvirt/+bug/1201938 documents
a memory leak we're seeing in libvirt.  I've reproduced it in 1.0.2,
1.0.6, and an hourly snapshot from yesterday morning (which is built
at https://launchpad.net/~serge-hallyn/+archive/libvirt-mav)

To reproduce it, I define and start one domain and run virt-manager
locally (just leaving it running in a vnc server).  The RSS as observed
by top grows over time, starting at 10M and becoming 87M in about 12
hours.

When I stop the running vm, the memleak does seem to stop.  Presumably
having >1 domain would speed up the memleak (explaining the original
bug reporter's woes)

thanks,
-serge