[libvirt] attach-device error: XML error: unknown device type

Chris Evich cevich at redhat.com
Wed Jul 3 13:44:46 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Fedora 18 (libvirt 0.10.2.6-1) I'm trying to add a new serial device
to a KVM VM with:

virsh attach-device foobar /tmp/serial.xml

and I keep getting:

error: Failed to attach device from /tmp/serial.xml
error: XML error: unknown device type

with serial.xml:

<serial type='file'>
  <source path='/tmp/serialfile'/>
  <target port='1'/>
</serial>

Though I tried it w/o the <target> tag, with and without the --config
flag, and with and without the guest running.  Assuming it's similar, I
tried and was successful in adding this device via virt-manager, though
it complains if the VM is running (which is fine).

What am I doing wrong with the virsh attach-device command or XML?

Thanks in advance.

--
Chris Evich, RHCA, RHCE, RHCDS, RHCSS
Quality Assurance Engineer