[libvirt] configuring a disconnected <interface>

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Wed Jul 3 14:43:22 UTC 2013

> On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 09:39:57AM +0300, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:

>>> Well, that *is* how virDomainUpdateDevice behaves when switching from
>>> one network connection to another - if the source and destination are
>>> both implemented with tap, it works, otherwise it returns
>>> OPERATION_UNSUPPORTED.
>> My question is slightly different: it's about switching from one
>> interface type (=none) to another (=network), not between two networks.
>>
>> I am asking whether it would be fine to implement type=none with tap,
>> given this unsupportedness.
> No, it doesn't really work properly. Not all type=network configs
> are based on tap devices. We need to be able to ask QEMU to remove
> the netdev backend, without affecting the guest device, and then
> add in a new netdev backend.
>
> We should have asked for this when we first did dynamic network
> re-configuration, but we took the easy way out back then. We need
> to fix this properly so that all possible config changes work.

Actually we did ask for that (basically, for the ability to change the
frontend of a network device without changing the backend), and stefanha
kindly produced a patch that *kind of* did it, but due to internal
limitations of qemu, it wasn't fully functional; it worked for some
limited cases but not for everything. If I recall correctly, the split
between frontend and backend in qemu wasn't as clear cut and total as
the commands led us to believe, and even once Stefan's patch was in
place, switching from tap to macvtap (or vice versa) still didn't work
properly (am I remembering that correctly, Stefan?).