[libvirt] Libvirt : Bootstrap fails for local gnulib

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Jul 3 21:10:51 UTC 2013

On 06/29/2013 12:20 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
> [dropping qemu-devel and virt-tools-list, as this question does not
> concern those lists]
>
> On 06/26/2013 03:12 AM, chandrashekar shastri wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> The Libvirt compliation fails to bootstarp for local gnulib. We do not
>> have outbound access for the test machines.
>> So, we ll pull the gnulib from and copy to the test machines.
>>
>> When we run ./bootstrap --no-git  --gnulib-srcdir=/path/to/local, below
>> is the error:
>
> Have you tried using ./autogen.sh instead of ./bootstrap?  While
> ./bootstrap is part of the process for building a git checkout, it is
> not the entire process, and we document that you should be using
> ./autogen.sh.  I don't have much experience with using --no-git, but I'd
> like to fix the problem if I can reproduce it.

I _think_ I figured out the problem; gnulib's bootstrap wasn't honoring
--no-git.  Proposed patch here:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2013-July/msg00232.html

But again, I'm biased by the fact that I normally have network access,
and didn't want to cripple that to test, so I didn't _actually_
reproduce the issue, and any testing you can do of the proposed patch
would be appreciated.