[libvirt] LXC: autostart feature does set all interfaces to state up.

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 08:36:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 09:43:54PM +0200, Marius Tomaschewski wrote:
> Am 18.07.2013 17:02, schrieb Richard Weinberger:
> > Am 18.07.2013 16:50, schrieb Jim Fehlig:
> >> Richard,
> >>
> >> I think you should have cc'd the bug assignee when discussing this issue
> >> upstream.  Adding him now...
> >
> > Oh, sorry for that!
> > I thought I did so after pointing Marius to the thread in the mailing list archive,
> > but obviously I forgot.
>
> Hi!
>
> This is a cleanup call (to stop dhcp-clients if any, remove state, ...)
> triggered by the remove event from kernel.
>
> IMO libvirt is missing an "udevadm settle" call between "remove foo; add
> foo" -- the "add" and "link up" calls in libvirt are done before
> udev finished the "remove" event processing.

No, these ifup/ifdown udev rules should not be running for veth devices.
They are not normal NICs - they are the same usage scenario as Xen vif
devices or tap devices in QEMU. The suse 77-network.rules script is already
whitelisting the vif* and tap* to avoid this behaviour for those devices
and it should be doing the same for veth* devices too.