[libvirt] libvirt and python3

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 14:33:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 02:13:59PM -0400, Dave Allan wrote:
> I've seen a bunch of interest in python3 [1,2,3].  Has anybody started
> thinking about python3 bindings for libvirt?
>
> Dave
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Python3
> [2] https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/Python3Porting
> [3] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DeveloperWiki:Python_Todo_List

  libvirt python bindings are autogenerated for the most part.
The tool is inherited from libxml2. I have made the port of libxml2
to be python3 compatible for libxml2-1.9.1 back in April
  http://xmlsoft.org/news.html

 there have been a few subsequent patches to that port after 1.9.1
but it's mostly okay.
  Of course the libxml2 patches won't apply 1-1 to libvirt but
the main parts should and i tripped on all the breakage left
by 2to3 so we should be able to do that without too much crazyness.

 Someone contributed the equivalent for libxslt which uses the
same system, but I hadn't yet the time to review and process them.
I was somehow hoping to do those patches for libvirt but my plate
is fairly full ATM. I guess the core work based on my libxml2
set of patches should take me 2-3 full days (as in not doing anything
else !), since that wasn't looking urgent, I didn't try to arrange to
spend that time, yet...

  libxml2 of course is compatible with python 2, back to 2.4 ...

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/