[libvirt] Authoritative source for logging filters descriptions ?

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Jun 4 11:45:26 UTC 2013

Heya,

So I usually use these two resources, when tracing/debugging:

  -
https://www.berrange.com/posts/2011/10/03/troubleshooting-libvirt-with-the-kvm-and-lxc-drivers/
  - http://libvirt.org/logging.html

For instance, for filters to know what QMP commands libvirt is sending to QEMU:

I use:
        - log_filters="1:qemu_monitor"
	- log_outputs="1:file:/var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log"

But, from
https://www.berrange.com/posts/2011/10/03/troubleshooting-libvirt-with-the-kvm-and-lxc-drivers/

I notice, we could also use these variations of filters QEMU/QMP filters:

	# QEMU JSON/QMP monitor commands
    	- log_filters="1:qemu_monitor_json"

	# QEMU text monitor commands
	- log_filters="1:qemu_monitor_text"

Is there any place where these are comprehensively documented, has anything changed from
what's mentioned in the above blog & the logging wiki page ?

Furthermore, from /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf, I see:
[...]
# Logging filters:
# A filter allows to select a different logging level for a given category
# of logs
# The format for a filter is one of:
#    x:name
#    x:+name
#      where name is a string which is matched against source file name,
#      e.g., "remote", "qemu", or "util/json", the optional "+" prefix
#      tells libvirt to log stack trace for each message matching name,
#      and x is the minimal level where matching messages should be logged:
#    1: DEBUG
#    2: INFO
#    3: WARNING
#    4: ERROR
#
# Multiple filter can be defined in a single @filters, they just need to be
# separated by spaces.
#
# e.g. to only get warning or errors from the remote layer and only errors
# from the event layer:
#log_filters="3:remote 4:event"
[...]

Is the above list of strings describe all possible "name" values for filters ?

If I'm missing some obvious resource on the inter-webs, please point me to it.

Thanks.

--
/kashyap