[libvirt] AttributeError in virConnect.__del__ at program exit

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Thu Jun 13 06:54:27 UTC 2013

Il 12/06/2013 19:31, Cole Robinson ha scritto:
> On 06/12/2013 04:10 AM, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:

>>> I've seen this too, sometimes via the virtinst test suite. Once upon a time I
>>> tracked it down to whether the virtinst code did 'import selinux' or not, so
>>> maybe it's a just some weird race, or a side effect of something other
>>> libraries do in their cleanup path. By inspection alone the __del__ handler
>>> doesn't seem to be doing anything wrong.
>>>
>>> - Cole
>> It seems related only to domainEventCallbacks so maybe it appears only
>> after a domain creation / modification.
>>
> Oh, sorry, now that I look at the code it makes a bit more sense. The error I
> was recalling was a __del__ Exception but wasn't involving domain events.
>
> But I still don't see why __del__ is complaining, since the whole thing is
> wrapped in try: ... except AttributeError. So not sure what the issue is.
>
> - Cole

According to the python documentation, you can't handle exception in
__del__:
http://docs.python.org/2/reference/datamodel.html#object.__del__

Warning

Due to the precarious circumstances under which __del__()
<http://docs.python.org/2/reference/datamodel.html#object.__del__>
methods are invoked, exceptions that occur during their execution are
ignored, and a warning is printed to sys.stderr instead.

So you have to test the existence of the attribute before using it and
not try to use it and try to handle an exception that can't be handled.

--
Sandro Bonazzola
See how it works at redhat.com