[libvirt] configuring a disconnected <interface>

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 09:29:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:42:14PM -0400, Laine Stump wrote:
> To summarize all that:
>
> 1) I think we can just use an omission of the <source> to indicate that
> an interface shouldn't be connected to anything, both for type='bridge'
> and type='network'.

I think that it pretty dangerous. There are two many places in our code
which will be assuming a non-NULL bridge or network name. We should not
risk NULL-pointer crashes by changing this to allow NULLs. Also this will
be incompatible apps parsing the XML which expect that the source is
mandatory.

It is also semantically dubious - if there is no <source> then what
is the difference between type=bridge & type=network ?

If we want a disconnected netwrk, then we'd need type='none' IMHO.