[libvirt] Adding and Clearing bridge addresses

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Mar 12 19:11:56 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 01:45 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> I have been working on this patch to have libvirt optionally set
> static routes.
>
> So I found the function that adds both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses to the
> bridge in virnetdev.c. I found that besides the
> virNetDevAddIPv4Address() there is also virNetDevCleanIPv4Address().
> I patterned my virNetDevAddGateway() after the
> virNetDevAddIPv4Address() function.
>
> What I am puzzled about is that it appears that nobody calls the Clear
> function.  What don't I understand?

Probably it's there just for completeness of API.

The thing that I find strange is that these functions include "IPv4" in
their names, in spite of working just as well for IPv6. It's very likely
that if I dig back through the blame history (which won't be simple
since the code has been moved into different files), I'll find that I
originally wrote it (I have a vague memory of it), but don't think I
would purposefully add IPv4 to the names... :-/