[libvirt] Adding and Clearing bridge addresses

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Mar 14 16:32:53 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 08:34 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On 03/12/2013 03:23 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>>> Probably it's there just for completeness of API.
>>>
>>> The thing that I find strange is that these functions include "IPv4" in
>>> their names, in spite of working just as well for IPv6. It's very
>>> likely
>>> that if I dig back through the blame history (which won't be simple
>>> since the code has been moved into different files), I'll find that I
>>> originally wrote it (I have a vague memory of it), but don't think I
>>> would purposefully add IPv4 to the names... :-/
>> The virNetDevGetIPv4Address method uses an ioctl to get the address
>> and this only works on IPv4 addrs. The intent was to turn the other
>> two calls into ioctl() calls too, to kill off shell commands.
>>
>> Setting IPv6 addresses would require netlink usage instead IIRC
>>
> I seem to recall some comments in some source code I have browsed in
> the last couple days which stated that ioctl was NOT to be used
> because it could not be guaranteed long term ...

I hadn't heard anything about that, but it is true that the ioctls can't
be used for IPv6 addresses, or for multiple IP addresses (v4 or v6) on
an interface. That's why what we really need to do is to switch all
these functions to use netlink (I guess with /usr/bin/ip as a fallback).

> I think it was in libvert code but it may have been in NetworkManager
> code.  When you jump around to different projects, the details get
> confusing.
>
> Anyway, I like the way /usr/sbin/ip works because things just seem to
> work.

There are two problems with using /usr/bin/ip:

1) it makes libvirt dependent on the iproute2 package

2) it adds one more external binary that libvirt must run as root,
creating a potential for exploit.

The problem with using ioctl(SIOCSIFADDR) is that it only supports a
single IP address (IPv4 only) per interface.

The "good" way to set IP addresses is (as Daniel mentioned) netlink
messages, at least on those platforms that have netlink. /usr/bin/ip
itself uses netlink.

When I added basic support for IPv6 to libvirt networks, libvirt didn't
yet have macvtap support (which also requires netlink), so none of the
infrastructure to do netlink was there yet, and adding a dependency on
iproute2 seemed like a reasonable expedient way to get the functionality
we needed. Three years later, we have other parts of the code using
netlink, and it would be nice to remove the dependency on iproute2 and
the exec of an external binary.