[libvirt] [libvirt-designer 1/2] Fix libvirt caps -> libosinfo platform short id mapping

Christophe Fergeau cfergeau at redhat.com
Tue Mar 19 15:54:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 03:24:22PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:46:35AM +0100, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > The code was building an id starting with kvm- while libosinfo qemu
> > description uses qemu-kvm-. Also, starting from qemu 1.2.0, there is
> > no separate qemu-kvm tarball.
> > guess_platform_from_connect is starting to be a bit magic, it may
> > be better to add a <machine> attribute to libosinfo <platform>
> > description and to use this to improve the matching between
> > libosinfo data and libvirt caps.
>
> I've never been able to think up a satisfactory way to do the
> mapping yet, without black magic like this. The trick is we don't
> want to tie libosinfo to libvirt concepts directly, since we want
> it to be generally useful to anyone doing virt stuff regardless
> of whether they use libvirt.

Agreed on not tying too much libosinfo with libvirt concepts. The <machine>
tag seemed acceptable from that perspective as this initially is a qemu
concept, so not too deeply tied to libvirt.
Alternatively, maybe we can ship some specialized datamaps to transform
libosinfo short IDs to something meaningful in a libvirt/... context.
Applications could pick the most appropriate one depending on what they are
using.

Christophe