[libvirt] Schedule for the next release suggestions

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 14:23:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:17:07PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 02:07:05PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 09:36:03PM +0800, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > >   The 1.0.3 release was on the 5th March, and right now we have
> > > accumulated 'only' 150 commits since the release. Based on this I
> > > would suggest to wait a couple of weeks before to enter a freeze
> > > for the following release. This mean we drift from the usual end
> > > of month, but the ratio of freeze/devel will remain more or less
> > > constant as well as the expected size of change in the new release.
> > >   So if this is fine I would suggest to enter freeze for 1.0.4
> > > on the 5th of April for a release around the 12. Unless there is
> > > a reason to push a release earlier,
> >
> > I would prefer it if we just stuck to a release on/near April 1st
> > regardless of how many changes have accumulated. IMHO a predictable
> > release date once a month on/near 1st of the month is more important
> > than the amount of code that has been changed.
>
>   to release on the 1st we would have to freeze this Monday meaning
> only 2.5 weeks of development after a freeze for 1.3 which took 1.5
> weeks. I was considering the ratio of freeze time vs. open time too.

I don't really think that's a problem myself, it is just to be
expected due to the longer than usual 1.3 freeze. People have
had just as much time to /write/ their code, all that changed
was the time available to /merge/ their code into upstream.

I'd like to see is be much stricter about following a monthly
release schedule in general. It makes it easier for distro
maintainers to accurately plan ahead for when libvirt releases
will sync up with their schedules, if they can reliably know
that we'll always release on the nearest weekday that follows
the 1st of the month.