[libvirt] doc: write separate module for hostdev passthrough and in-use tracking

Chunyan Liu cyliu at suse.com
Wed Mar 27 08:59:39 UTC 2013

2013/3/26 Osier Yang <jyang at redhat.com>:
> On 25/03/13 14:51, Chunyan Liu wrote:

>>> Cool. we lacked this for a time.

>>> This is more important than the code-reuse.

>>> In case of you want to expose prepareHostdevs, no need to expose
>>> preparePciHostdevs and prepareUsbHostdevs?
>>
>> Thanks very much for your comments.
>>
>> Exposing these two APIs is considering that some driver may supports
>> one but not another, so that it could call specific API. But we can
>> use support flag in prepareHostdevs to control that, in this way not
>> need these two APIs

>>> Likewise.

>>> These APIs are useful for upper layer management too. I have once
>>> wanted to create similiar APIs, but only tended for qemu driver
>>> at that time.
>>>
>>> But except these 4 get APIs, others are only useful for other drivers
>>> (internally), useless for upper layer management.
>>
>> That's true.
>>
>>> Do we really want a
>>> driver instead of just an internal share module? Like src/nodeinfo.[ch],
>>> and with it we still can expose APIs like the 4 get APIs.
>>
>> Do you mean add src/hostdev.[ch] and do all work there? Think a while,
>> I think it can achieve too.
>

> Yes.
>

>> Then do we need to differentiate 4 get
>> APIs and other APIs?
>

> Not sure about you meaning here.
Sorry, I meant: since the 4 get APIs could be used by upper layer
management, other APIs like prepareHostdevs and reattachHostdevs are
only used internally, should we place them separately, like in
separate header files? or trace them no difference?

> But you can take the existing APIs like
> virNodeSetMemoryParameters as examples.  The API is implemented
> in src/nodeinfo.[ch], but each driver can use it.

>>> Why need the "conn info"? Isn't a driver name enough here?
>>
>> Driver name is OK. Just need to fill unique info about the device is
>> used by which driver which domain. So I try to store virDomainObjPtr
>> to the used_by area, from this pointer, we can get driver name and
>> domain name. Do you think that's OK?
>

> Yeah, I think virDomainObjPtr is just overkill, you have to maintain
> the object's lifecycle.
OK. We can change 'used_by' to 'used_by_drvname' and 'used_by_domname'.
               --- const char    *used_by;  /* The domain which uses
the device */
               +++ const char    *used_by_drvname;
               +++ const char    *used_by_domname;

Thanks,