[libvirt] "virsh edit" failed to take effect on KVM

Gonglei (Arei) arei.gonglei at huawei.com
Thu May 9 11:49:05 UTC 2013

Hi all,
   we use the command "virsh edit"  to modify the VM configuration information online on KVM Platform(libvirt-1.0.0 and qemu-1.4),
but it does not take effect after reboot. However, it works fine on Xen Platform.

   for an example,a VM is running with the following configuration information:
	   <os>
		<type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
		<boot dev='hd'/>
		<bootmenu enable='yes'/>
	  </os>
   use command "virsh edit " to modify it:
	   <os>
		<type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
		<boot dev='cdrom'/>
		<bootmenu enable='yes'/>
	  </os>
With the changing, the VM is expected to start from cdrom, when execute the command "virsh reboot".
But the fact is that the modify does not take effect, the VM is still start from hd.
Well, it will take effect if I use command "virsh shutdown" and "virsh start" instesad of "virsh reboot".
We are wondering if there have any other ways to take the online modify effect.
What is the next step going on with the command "virsh edit" on KVM Platform? Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Gonglei