[libvirt] traffic control

Peter V. Saveliev peet at redhat.com
Mon May 20 12:06:45 UTC 2013

> Yes, the choice language *today* does matter, because it impacts on
> the minimum install base size possible with libvirt. It also impacts
> on operational aspects becasue python is not a low footprint runtime
> from a memory POV, and not OOM friendly. As per my previous mail I
> also think this kind of higher level interface to netlink should be
> a C library rather than an RPC system.

I also would like to create a C lib with some optional high-level
bindings. But as I think, it is simply not possible in nearest time, it
is too hard, I know the amount and state of code of the `tc` utility.
Right now iproute's `tc` is the only complete implementation of the
traffic control messages (and it is a total mess-up with tons of
non-actual legacy), the second shortly will be the one I write (in pure
python, yes). I would like to see another one, but I just do not expect
it in some foreseeable future.

Ok, time will show — maybe I'm totally wrong.

Another approach could be providing basic functionality just as it is
done right now — calling the external utility (from my point of view, it
is not better than RPC) and to make pluggable network management
politics, that could be provided by loadable C libraries. It would give
some space for extensibility.

--
Peter V. Saveliev